Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Lent Sucks

One of the dangers of adopting the Church calendar is that you might start to take it seriously. You just might begin to think through the meaning of the seasons in the life of the Church. Take Lent as just such an instance. Now, I didn't give anything up for Lent; not because I'm opposed to it mind you, it just sort of crept up on me. That's the kicker, how does Lent sneak up on you? Well, you don't pay much attention. I have had, however, a wake up call. Since attending an Ash Wednesday service, I find myself becoming more aware of my sin and need of Good Friday. I recognize more things about myself that I don't particularly like. I'm not patient with Kirsten or Aiden. I jump to conclusions and am easily frustrated. I don't forgive as I ought or repent as I ought. Ah, but then there's the Gospel. It's the good thing, the thing I keep in mind; it's the reminder that Lent always ends with Easter.

1 Comments:

Blogger Justin Donathan said...

Yes, Lent sucks, and if you give stuff up it sucks even more. But easter will be sweet this year, and if it wern't for Lord's Days I think I would just give up completely.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home