Monday, April 18, 2005

Exciting Day at the Shop

I had an interesting day at work. I shot myself in the thumb with a one-and-one-quarter inch chisel tip brad nail. Actually, it was more through my thumb, as only about 3/16 of the nail went into the material, the other inch and one sixteenth went through the meaty part of my thumb. (Which, by the way, is still numb--is that normal?) I'm putting together vanities for a job we're working on and in order to do so, I shoot brad nails into the material to stabilize them and then I screw them on tight. Well, chisel tip nails are made in such a way that they curl upon entering the material. This allows them to hold stronger than straight tip brad nails. This one curled more than I expected to say the least. Here's a reinactment...

Scene opens with Josh (unaware of the encroaching crisis) working at his table, holding material with left hand and nail gun in right hand. Radio set to the Morning Animals.

Josh lines up material, aims gun, pulls trigger.

Close up on brad nail curling out of material and into (through) Josh's thumb.

*expletive*

Josh looks down at thumb to see two holes in thumb, an insert wound and an exit wound. Gore ensues.

Josh goes to clinic to get tetanus shot and sore arm.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spearsy,
I think I told you about my story. Very similar situation, except my nail hit a knot in the wood. It then took a right turn out of the wood and into my thumb.

"$#@*!" said I. I had no idea that much blood could come out of my thumb.

I didn't go get a tetanus shot. Perhaps that is why my arm is rotting???

Go Apple and sushi.
-Blake

8:08 PM  
Blogger J Stu said...

(in a drawn-out and slightly squeaky voice)
"Josh, looks like you shot your thumb. Well why'd you do that? I think you're supposed to shoot the wood."

~P.J. Pinkerton on Josh shooting himself with a nailgun.

11:18 PM  
Blogger J Stu said...

Sorry about the wound mate. I guess you're officially "shop" material. Glad you didn't have to lose part of your finger to get official membership.

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's interesting that you (oh faint of little intestinal fortitude) described the whole of the drama in the story with two words: "gore ensues."
This is a pithy and clever way to say it, but I'd kind of like to hear more.
It's kind of like saying, "Jesus wept," is your favorite Bible verse. Plus, you did it too late to have the mighty Benny Hinn extract the devil and tetanus (his footstool) from your injured thumb for only the price of one prayer cloth and a pledge to support more "healings" and outright denial of the Trinity...

9:02 PM  
Blogger Sydneyann said...

Unrelated: are you going to see the Shins (or are you interested?) on May 6 (I think.)?

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home