Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Epistemology at the Carpentry Shop

Today, a friend at work asked what class I was taking and I told him it was a class on the theories of knowledge. As I explained the sorts of things we talked about I made use of the common expression, 'know that you know'. It's one that I heard a lot growing up in church. 'Do you know that you know that you are saved?' is the question often used during the last 15 or 20 minutes of the service. It's equally applicable (though without the softly playing music and every head bowed and every eye closed) to the question of how we know. How do we know that we know? This is the skeptic's favorite question. But it occured to me sometime during the day, Do we need the know that we know? Should the skeptic set the agenda? Can't we start from the fact that we possess knowledge without having to give a theory that allows us to make knowledge claims? Are we really to believe that if I can't give an account of how I have knowledge of my wife, that I don't really know my wife? Is relational knowledge (or know-howknowledge) subject to such 'knowing that you know' criterion? These are questions to which I think negative answers are appropriate but my thoughts on them are half-baked and still a little gooey in the middle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home